Assertive Mentoring at Westleigh High School
Assertive mentoring is a targeted approach to mentoring at Westleigh. It is a targeted approach – encouraging pupils to take responsibility for their learning, and achieve their maximum potential.
We actively support pupils in becoming independent and confident learners, working on the 5Rs – Resourcefulness, Responsibility, Reasoning, Resilience and Reflection.
Pupils and their mentors have regular meetings with the most up to date information from teaching staff.
- Achievements and success are acknowledged
- Potential areas of concern are discussed.
- Intervention strategies agreed and put in place.
- Pupils actively create their own learning plan – they address weaknesses and improve their independent learning skills.
- Regular follow up to ensure pupils are achieving targets set.
- Review targets and set new ones.
Success is the only option
Mentors continue to provide ……….
- Time, space and a listening ear to help resolve problems that are affecting learning
- Support pupils with behavioural, motivational or attendance issues
- Use of computers and resources
- Support with organisation and study skills and revision techniques
- Guidance/promotion of other services available e.g. Careers Advisor
- Support with college applications
- Liaison with parents, staff, other professionals
The times we are available outside of lessons
Mon- Fri 7.45am to 8.05am Homework Coursework and Study Club
Mon -Thu 1.05 pm to 1.40pm Open to those who need time and space
‘Working together to support your child achieve their full potential’
Page updated: 16/12/2015